UNDERSTANDING & ENJOYING THE GRACE OF GOD (PART 1) by Rev Tony Akinyemi
The Several Dispensations in Human History
TEXT: 1 Peter 5:12 (NIV)
“With the help of Silas, whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.”
In this fifth month of the year, I will be expatiating on the subject of GRACE. The Grace of God is so powerful and paramount to our Christian walk that we cannot afford to be uninformed about it.
Here, we will examine the several dispensations in the History of mankind. According to Scoffield (a Theologian), from the time God created Adam and Eve till today we have witnessed SIX dispensations, while we look forward to the SEVENTH and FINAL dispensation any time soon. These were:
- The dispensation of Innocence:This was the dispensation before Eve was tempted by the devil and the fall of man in the Garden of Eden. They enjoyed fellowship with God and innocence of mind.
- The dispensation of Conscience:In this dispensation, conscience was the God-installed barometer which justified or condemned human actions. Everyone’s conscience is the same in FORM in that they work exactly the same way. However, the verdict that a person’s conscience passes on a particular behaviour is determined by the CONTENT of that person’s conscience.
- The dispensation of Human government:This is the period between the end of the flood and the call of Abraham by God in Genesis 9 – 11.
- The dispensation of Promise:This began when God promised and called Abraham and ended with The Exodus of the Children of Israel from Egypt.
- The dispensation of Law: Itcommenced after Moses and the Children of Israel had metamorphosed from a family into a Nation led by Moses. In order to be righteous in this dispensation, everyone was expected to observe all the laws as given by Moses.
- The dispensation of Grace: God sent His only begotten Son Jesus Christ to not only be a template but also to commence a newdispensation of GRACE and TRUTH (John 1:1–15). In this dispensation we are saved only by GRACE through FAITH. (Ephesians 2:8, NIV).
POINTS TO REMEMBER:
Human history has progressed from generation to generation and dispensation to dispensation. Different rules govern different dispensations. To try to apply all the rules of one dispensation in another is to run into doctrinal error. However, few rules can cut across all dispensations.
Dear Reader, if you read and feel the conviction that you have not totally appropriated the opportunities in Grace, just take this action of faith;
Lord Jesus, thank you for dying in my place, I come to you today in true repentance, to receive the gift of Grace for my forgiveness and my Salvation. I open my heart to receive you as my Saviour and Lord. Save my soul, Lord Jesus. Amen!!!
Thank God for the grace of God that offers us free salvation through faith.
Father, I receive fresh insights into your grace to live above sin and its enticements, in the name of Jesus. Amen.
May 30, 2018
June 19, 2020
June 19, 2020